Monday, April 7, 2008

Weekly Reader

Weekly Reader is a nickname that Mark gave to me quite awhile ago.  It really is no secret that I love to read and I call myself the word nerd in my own classroom.  Reading is one of my favorite past times and something I do often to promote reading with my students.
A couple  weeks ago after putting Anthony to bed Mark comments that he hasn't see me reading in quite awhile and that I used to read 2-5 books a week.  Then he asks a great Mark question, "Why aren't you reading anymore?"  (I should point out the whole time he is talking I must have been staring at him with a are-you-serious expression on my face!)  
He is right.  I haven't read a book since getting Anthony, which is around six weeks now.  I can't even remember a drought like that in my life as a reader.  
My favorite author is Jodi Picoult and she recently came out with her latest book, Change of Heart.  In the past four weeks it has been on the top of the New York Times Best Seller List and a must read in my opinion.  I decided to log onto my local library's website to sign up for this book only to find out I was #238 on the waiting list.  Needless to say, I purchased it and am so excited to finally get back into a reading groove of some sort.  
Yesterday it was rainy here in Becker and kind of chilly - a perfect day for reading.  Before becoming a mother I would have made several cups of hot chocolate and spent the day devouring the book until it was completed.  Now things look a bit different.  We spent the day playing with the new toys he got from his weekend shower and reading his books - especially the Oscar the Grouch one!  I read a bit while he napped and got through a few pages before bed. All together I read a total of 23 pages.  Oh how my life has changed.
Mark might need to start calling me his Monthly Reader now!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm in the same boat, Ton! I love love love to read and have been missing books in the past 8 weeks. The other day I started reading Beautiful Boy about a father's journey through his son's addiction (wonder why I was interested in that one?!) and am only on chapter 4 as I can usually only fit reading in while I'm pumping my boobs!!! Oh, how things change when you become a mother. But I wouldn't trade this little boy for all the books in the world. I'm sure you feel the same way about yours. :) Love you!

meade said...

"Change of Heart" is wonderful! I stayed up way too late finishing it but it was worth it...I think it may be one of my faves by Jodi Picoult! I know how hard it is to squeeze in reading time for yourself but you should have no trouble finishing this one!

LJFEIER said...

One of the many changes in your life... but you'll find the time. Just maybe not for so many young adult books, too!
Kids are still devouring the Gregor books, for what its worth... and you were right, Ray LOVED it. :)