Thursday, April 24, 2008

Potty Time

This past weekend Anthony got his own potty chair from Grandma Kathy.  Since he's turning 20 months on Saturday and because I will be home with him until August I thought perhaps we could start trying to work on using it.  
Is this a good or bad idea mommies and daddies out there?
Today after breakfast I introduced it to him.  I brought in his sippy cup along with some favorite books and toys.  I showed him the big potty (and, yes, how to use it) and then showed him his.  He sat down right away and began to play.  We ended up being in the bathroom for 25 minutes; however, nothing happened on the potty chair.  My goal for today was just to introduce it and have NO expectations that it would actually work.  I'm thinking that we will try using it everyday after breakfast as well as lunch or dinner.
I know boys train much later than girls.  I also know this is probably WAY TO EARLY for him to even be training. Anyone want to share any thoughts, research, tips or advice for this process?  I would love to hear all about it!


Hopefully he doesn't hate me too much later on in life because I posted pictures of him on a toilet...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started the girls at about this age and sometimes they were interested and sometimes they were not. They finally "got it" about a month shy of their 3rd birthday once they stopped using pull ups and went solely to big girl underware. We had a day and a half with accidents before they fully caught on. I think its great to get the process started now, just be prepared for the long haul. My pediatrician said that it is one of the few things they can control in their life so they will do it when they are physically capable and when they want to. Very true!

~Mara

LJFEIER said...

Our new pediatrician would tell you now is the perfect time! He told us that once Cam is walking we could start trying. He took one week when his son was 18 months and made it a naked week- ran him to the potty chair whenever he started to or looked like he was about to go- and after that week he was trained! After all the bucking Rylan is doing I'm tempted to just train Cam first! Go for it!