Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Our Little Reader

Everyday this week Anthony and I have sat down 2-3 times per day and spent about 30-45 minutes reading in his books.  I have to admit this is a mommy's and teacher's dream come true!  When he first came home he wanted NOTHING to do with books, which, of course, made me nervous.  I see too many students who struggle with reading and comprehension and was hoping that would be one struggle he would never have to go through.  (Yes, I realize he's only 19 months and not a 7th grader. I also realize all of this is a bit over the top on my part.) 
Things have definitely changed in the past few weeks for Anthony.  He's come to love his books and the act of "reading". During the times we're not reading together he will put a couple of his books on the couch and sit there "reading" to himself.  

His favorite book, without a doubt, would have to be Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?.  This is definitely not a sitting-in-the-chair type of book.  He always wants down so he can dance, do his crazy looks and jump up and down.  It's always entertaining and something we're still trying to video tape because it is so cute how into he always gets.  
Today we were done reading all of his books and he jumped down and grabbed Mr. Brown.  He was getting super excited before I even started reading.  Just the though of "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM Mr. Brown is a wonder - BOOM, BOOM, BOOM Mr. Brown makes thunder" was too much for him to contain himself.   What fun!

My personal favorite books of his lately would have to be Thankful Together, which has a beautiful prayer at the end, and The Teeny Weeny Tadpole, which has great action and fun pictures to look at.  

Maybe if I can't be the weekly/daily reader of the house anymore he can take my place?!  

4 comments:

meade said...

Oh the wonderful sounds Mr. Brown can do!! We also have that book but I struggle to do some of the sounds...lightning, rain, horse's hooves!! Okay, I CAN handle the bee and the cow!
As far as how many words Anthony should be able to say, it sounds like he's on the right track! I almost laughed at the nurse a few months ago when she told me how many words Paul should be saying b/c we were nowhere near her count. He had just mastered "Mama" and she was asking me if he could say "cookie"!

Unknown said...

Adorable picture! It's so cute that he loves to read and even enjoys reading to himself. Hopefully he won't grow out of it!

Team Tuttle said...

That picture of him reading just cracks me up! "Now today class - if you'll all turn to page..." He looks so much more grown up in that picture - I love it!

Ashley said...

This mommy/teacher knows just how you feel! I'm so happy for you! I've been reading to Jackson already (and I did a little while pregnant) and have been pleased with his simple reaction of looking at a few of the pictures before he starts crying. :) Yay for reading!!!