Sunday, June 22, 2008

You Make My Day

Today was a rough day.  Anthony got up a little before 4:00 this morning and never really went back to sleep.  By 5:00 he was completely up and not willing to hang out in bed with mom.  I was beyond tired and trying hard not to be crabby...
Throughout the day he continually would get easily frustrated and start crying; we could tell he was just tired. Unfortunately, I was getting frustrated too.  The lack of sleep the night before was making me feel sick and non-energetic.  
Tonight, though, made up for the whole day.  After we said our prayers and kissed good night I rocked him a bit and started singing.  Lately I have been singing a version of the song that my Grandma J wrote, You Make My Day.  I had stopped singing and was rubbing his back when he popped up and looked at me.  He smiled and then said more.  I asked him if he wanted more water or num-nums.  He said no to both.   Then I asked him if he wanted me to sing again.  He said yeah and laid back down.  
It may sound goofy, but I teared up while I sang the song once again.  For me, this day epitomizes what it's like to be a mother.  Some days are really hard and exhausting.  Regardless of how I feel I still have a little one who needs my attention - my full attention.  All of it is worth it, though, when he flashes me his amazing smile or gives an impromptu kiss or hug and I can see the love he has in his eyes. 
I'm still learning and growing when it comes to being a parent and I will continue to be for years to come.  Again, I cannot help but feel so blessed to be given this amazing opportunity. Through all of the struggles and tough days this will always be the most amazing part of my life. 
I love being Anthony's mama. 
I couldn't think of anything that would come close to being better than that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww, how sweet! It's not goofy, it's a special mother and son bonding moment. How could you not be moved to tears when your little guy looks up into your face and tells you he wants more singing, then cuddles back up in your arms to enjoy the music?! Many mamas would do the same, I'm sure. What a special, tender moment!

Ashley said...

That's so sweet, Ton. Those heartwarming moments are so special, and they make the struggles worth it. I'm sure you're an excellent mommy, and Anthony's super lucky to have you. I hope I get to see the two of you in action someday. :)

Maria said...

Beautiful post, T. I hear you that the struggles make the sweet moments all the sweeter. Just keep in mind that at one point, 4:00 a.m. was sleeping in for me! Luckily, though, Eli's sleeping through the night! Woohoo!
Motherhood is an amazing experience that can never be accurately described with words. One of my favorite sayings is "People won't remember what you said, what you wore, or how much is in your bank account--they will only remember how you made them feel." Kids have the ability to make a mother feel like nothing else in the world matters except that you have each other. Congratulations to you--I know you're doing a great job--Anthony's lucky to have you.