Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Long Weekend

This past weekend Mark headed to Milwaukee with the guys to watch the Twins take on the Brewers at Miller Park. This baseball/beer fest weekend was planned long before we got Anthony and he's been excited to go on this road trip.  Since Mark was going to be gone all weekend Anthony, Zoey and I decided to pack up Alice, the Grand Prix, and head up north for the weekend to visit family members and friends. 

Our first stop on Thursday was at Auntie Manda and Uncle Damon's house.  As soon as we got there Anthony got "comfy" with help from auntie and started to play in the pool and with water toys.   I just couldn't resist taking a picture of his cute butler!  

On Friday we went over to my parents' house with the intentions of going camping at the lake lot.  Due to the weather and my body not feeling the best we decided to stay home instead. Anthony enjoyed walking around the big yard, playing with Grandma and Grandpa and getting to drive the lawn mower.  

On Saturday we had lunch at Sportsman's Cafe - cheap, yummy food in DR - and then visited King's Courtyard at the elementary school.  It was already past Anthony's nap time and he ended up falling asleep in the car between the cafe and the playground.  However, once he saw all of the equipment he perked right up and decided to nap a bit later.  All of my family members showed up to play with Anthony in the thirty minutes we were there.  Of course I had to take a photo to capture all of the fun we had.

After nap time on Saturday we headed over to Grandma and Grandpa Hanson's for the night. Anthony really enjoyed going to the park with grandma and getting to play with all new toys as well as just spending time with them.  

The absolute highlight of staying at Mark's parents' house was meeting their cat Joe Meeoowwer.  (I'll have to check on the exact spelling of the cat's name because I know that's wrong.)  Anthony really enjoyed holding, petting and playing with the kitty kitty.  All was well until Sunday morning when they got into a boxing match.  I'm sure Joe got sick of the constant tugging and pulling of his ears and tail and had to put Anthony in his place.  Needless to say, there was a bit of blood and tears, but no serious injuries to report.
 
The whole time we were gone Anthony missed Mark.  Everyday I would hear "Dada" with the hopes he had spotted his daddy.  How do you explain to a 21 month old that dada is gone for right now, but we'll see him in five days?  Needless to say, Mark was spotted countless times.  My favorites were the times we were in public and he kept saying dada.  I felt like we should have been on one of Maury's paternity shows searching for my baby's father.  :)
All was right in the world when Anthony woke up from his nap on Monday to find his dada FINALLY home.  He officially become dada's boy for the day and mom got shunned.  Understandable, right?  It was super cute to see them interact.  I'm not sure who missed the other more; Mark was beyond excited to have his little boy back in his arms again and to play the afternoon away
Got to love summer and long weekends...

6 comments:

hellokittycar said...

Your son is 21 months old and has better muscle definition than I have ever had in my LIFE....seriously. OKay and that cat is huge, I can see why Anthony may not have won all of the boxing rounds. I have everything priced for the garage sale except for yarn, what do you price unused yarn. I should ask Paige. I am tempted just to put it in a free box. I had to take the seats out of my car to even think that I could fit all of the stuff I have in there. So here is a thought, remember a year ago when everyone met you know who at the garage sale, does that not seem like 4 years ago. A lot changes in a year! See you on Thursday! Can't wait to see muscle man too! :)

Unknown said...

Great pictures. It's so nice that you got to spend a long weekend with your families! Anthony must be having so much fun.

It's sweet to see dads and little ones reunited after being apart for a few days...you can just see the joy in their faces.

Maria said...

That little butt of Anthony's is sooooo cute! Oh little boys! What is it with them and loving to be naked? Eli's already like that at 3 months!
Sounds like you had a great weekend away. It's nice to visit family for a long weekend. When Jay is gone overnight somewhere, I immediately drive to my parents' house so I have some help taking care of Eli (I'm a wuss, I admit it--I could never be a single mom) and it gives me an excuse to see Eli play with his grandparents.

Lex, don't give away yarn--at least ask for 25 or 50 cents! I'm hoping to make it to the garage sale, probably on Friday on our way to the cities for some in-law fun.

Oh, and Tonja, there are a couple of books I have for Eli that I just love and that Anthony might like: Oh My Baby, Little One by Kathi Appelt is a nice story about kids and parents being away from each other (might be nice to start gearing up for full time day care--brace yourself, though, you'll cry the first time you read the book) and the other one is funny and silly called I Love You, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt. I Love You, Stinky Face is a good book for boys because the boy in the story asks all sorts of silly questions about what would happen if....and then the mom gives some silly and loving answers in return--check it out. If you have any books that you know of for me to check in to, I'd love to hear the ideas!

Ashley said...

Anthony is so damn cute, I just can't get over it! Especially with a bare butt. :) And I'm glad to see some book recommendations from your friend - we will definitely be checking those out as well.

Ashley said...

And I love hearing about all your adventures! Sounds like everything becomes an adventure when you're the parent of a toddler. I can't wait! Well, really, I can... I don't want time to go too fast, but it'll be fun to see what Jackson will be like in a year. You know what I mean. :)

hellokittycar said...

Are you as tired as I am. I took a two hour nap after I got home tonight. When did sitting outside on a beautiful day get to be exhausting! Getting old stinks! I am going through my HelloKitty and Keroppi collections and bringing a few more things for tomorrow. I can see how Tracy just gets rid of everything, it does feel great! Thanks again for hosting, as always, you are a super woman. I loved that chicken today too, cook it again! :)