Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dada

Anthony and I looked at several cards trying to find the right one for Dada on his first Father's Day.  None of them even came close in my mind and I think Anthony was a bit disappointed as well because he was looking for a "boo" card, but didn't have any success.  
I love cards.  I keep and treasure my cards.  Even though Mark doesn't have the same affinity towards a folded piece of paper I still wanted to get him something---meaningful and from the heart.  Instead Anthony insisted on a card that has Mickey and Minnie Mouse on it.  Seriously, kid?  It's cheesy, but when he held onto it with a death grip I knew it was the one.  (Okay, perhaps he tore it a bit too and I felt bad putting back a slightly torn Father's Day card.)  
Being that I have an "orange" personality and deal with emotions more so than facts or figures, I really wanted to find something that captured the essence of who my husband has become in the last three and a half months of becoming a parent.  Mark has always been an amazing guy in my eyes.  I always knew he would be a good dad as well.  Turns out he's not just good, but rather a natural.  He's wonderful.
One of the best things about becoming a mom is seeing Mark become a dad along side of me. Anthony LOVES his dada and they have this wonderful-t0-see bond between the two of them. He copies everything Mark does and acts like all is right in the world when dada finally comes home each day from work.  They are always playing with toys on the floor, watching baseball together, finding cows on the internet, going outside to play, taking the car for a spin, and so much more. When I watch the two of them together I see love.  And every time I see that love I am thankful to have Mark as my partner in this team called parenting.  I'm thankful Anthony has such a wonderful dad and role model.  
You are the best.
Happy first Father's Day.
We love you, Dada.

1 comment:

Maria said...

What a great post! Jay and I experienced our first Father's Day as well. It is great to experience parenthood together, and Anthony sure is lucky to have such wonderful parents!

I hope you are having a wonderful summer. Eli and I sure are! Summertime just has a new meaning with a little one around--so great and the best quality time a mom could ask for.

I keep checking in with you and your family on your blog. It's nice to read your blog because we have so much in common. Thanks Tonja! I hope I get to meet Anthony sometime soon!