Monday, July 28, 2008

Serendipity

I've been trying to thinking of an appropriate title for the posting I'm about to write.  Many words and phrases have come into mind, but none truly fit.  For me, this summer was going to be completely about spending time with Anthony and being a family.  I guess God had a bit more in mind for me.  Perhaps I needed to be reminded of what's truly important in life - a wake up call of sorts.  It is easy to fall into the "keeping up with the Jones" track in life.  There are so many things we want and "need" - our focus can quickly turn to material possessions all the while losing track of what's really important.

Don't worry.  I'm not going to preach to you, but rather share some insight I found when I really wasn't looking for it.

That insight all started the night of Monday, July 14th.  I had just gotten Anthony back to bed and settled in myself when I heard our phone ringing.  Instantly I was uneasy because it was 1:35 in the morning.  I saw it was my sister calling and I answered the phone saying, "Manna, what's wrong?"  What I heard next quickly put life and family into sharp focus.  

"Mom and Dad's house is on fire..."

It was at that point that I tried to stay calm and gather all of the information that was known at the time.  When I hung up with her I talked with Mark for a bit and then my knees hit the floor. I cannot say I remember a time when I've prayed with such fervor.  My prayer was simple - the house could burn along with every single possession as long as mom and dad got out alive. They were the only thing that mattered.  

The past two weeks I have been up north with my family laboriously working on salvaging items as well as throwing away so many things that were ruined.  Through it all I am so thankful that both my mom and dad are unharmed and still with us.  Material possessions can always be replaced - the absence of them would have been devastating.  There were a number of times it hit me that I could have been up north planning two funerals...

All my life I have been this mushy, emotional, sympathetic person who is completely transparent when it comes to feelings.  I cannot pass an ambulance with its sirens on without praying for the families it impacts or see a soldier without being overcome with emotion because he's sacrificed so much just to serve his country.  I'm afraid, dear readers, my emotions are going to be even more transparent and those who see me often may get sick of my hugs, thoughts and deep appreciation for them.  As a family we have so much to be thankful for - mom and dad are alive even though they both took sleeping pills that night.  It is so easy to see that the outcome could have been so different for our family.

I guess maybe I personally did need another reminder of what's important in life.  The rock flying into the car that day perhaps wasn't enough.  As I think about my life there are many things that I now can stop worrying about - buying new clothes, our next vacation, paying the adoption fees, purchasing a minivan, spending countless hours at work, etc. Perhaps now my focus has been shifted and I can continue my new found realization into the future.  Family and friends - the people I love and treasure - are truly the core and what matters in my life.

Thank you to everyone who has prayed and thought of my family.  
Thank you to Erin for so quickly waking up at 2:00 in the morning when I needed a friend to talk to and being so supportive throughout all of this.  
Beth - You made the most delicious homemade meal that brightened everyone's day.  After many days of restaurant food and sandwiches it was a real treat.  
Anthony had a great time with you, Grandma and Papa Hanson, while I was at the house each day.  I appreciate your willingness to drop everything to help me out.  It was a relief to know that he was in good hands and getting to know two very special people in his life.
Rach - Having three kids under four at your house was probably a bit of a juggling act even though you are a pro. Thanks so much for watching Anthony and understanding all of my tears.
Lastly, I need to thank my sister.  She has done and continues to do so much for mom and dad.  I really appreciate all of your hard work, sacrifices and your ability to laugh even when things are serious and hard.  You brightened so many days and put many smiles on our parents' faces when they needed it the most.  Thank you for being Miss Hercules and making us laugh with your dumpster diving and trumpet playing. I love you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Ton. Thank goodness your parents are alright! I'm so sorry that this happened, but everyone is so lucky that they're OK. Events like these truly do make us appreciate family all the more. I'll be keeping yours in my thoughts as you work through this. Love you!

wentdorf said...

Tonja-

You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I heard the news and will continue to be. I am so thankful that they are alright. Family is so precious!!

Love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

Tonja,
Thankfully everyone's physically ok! The last few weeks must have been both physically and emotionally exhausting! I've been sending prayers your direction and will continue to do so!

~Mara

Jess said...

Wow - how scary. Glad your folks are alright. There are a lot of fires in California this year, so it's something we think about often. Best wishes to all of you for the recovery process.

- Jess