Monday, August 31, 2009

Thankful

Today was a good day.
Actually, it was a great day!

(I'll warn you, I'm definitely in a "Tonja" mood tonight. Some of you may want to skip this post if it's too positive and sunshiny for you to handle.)

It feels great to be back at work doing something I really love and have Anthony going to Nae's house, which he really loves too. Given the economy and everything that's happening, I feel very fortunate to have a job and enjoy that job. Work doesn't feel like work. I never watch the clock and watch the hours tick past like I used to when I worked other jobs. Quite simply, it feels like I'm doing what I'm meant to be doing.
I feel so inclined to tell all of you because I may need some reminders as the year progresses and challenges occur. Hopefully all of you can help me to be thankful in spite of what life may throw at me. Too many times it's just too easy to be negative and slip into a type of thinking that gets me nowhere. I try to avoid that mindset at all costs, but there was that one time I came home with smokes and a six pack. (Really, it was only that one time. I don't make a habit of freaking Mark out with streaked mascara, lots of tears/snot and a quiet night out on the deck all bundled up against the cold. Honestly!)
Optimism and a positive attitude is a good thing. More importantly it's just who I am.
Today my principal showed a clip of coach Don Meyer who won the Jimmy V Award at the 2009 Espys.
(I promise this segue into something else really is connected to the main premise of this post.)
Meyer's story was moving and his spirit was infectious. His attitude and philosophy of the three Fs - Faith, Family and Friends - was something to aspire to. It was also a good reminder for me to always be who I am, enjoy the life I have and be thankful for all of the blessings in my life regardless of what others may say or do.

The best part of my day, though, came much later at home. Anthony wanted to dance before going to bed. (Duh. Who doesn't want to dance before going to bed?!) We played some Billie Jean and had a great time entertaining Mark and Zoey with our awesome moves.

Like I said, there's always so much to be thankful for in life!

4 comments:

Team Tuttle said...

Life is much to short to not be reminded of just how precious it is! Love the post! :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it that your three year old asks you to dance to MJ before dinner!

Great post and here's to another great year!

Cheers!
Mara

LJFEIER said...

We are very lucky, aren't we? Good to remember after a day like today!

Sara said...

What a great reminder for all of us Tonja. I couldn't agree more. I think I'll need reminding this year too as I attempt to go back to work with a new little one. Plus, I already know it's going to be a busy and probably stressful year. I'm really focusing on enjoying my time off now with Greta. Thanks for the inspiration!