Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hello. My name is Tonja

and I'm addicted to ice cream.  (Well, blogging too, but I'm trying to keep that one in check and be a bit more balanced with my time.)

Labor Day weekend is here.  No amount of wishing or hoping can turn back the clocks or fast forward to the always wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  That glorious three day weekend marks the beginning of summer and a conclusion to another year of teaching.  Its cousin, Labor Day weekend, does just the opposite.  It's the weekend to squeeze in anything that may have been overlooked during the summer or just have one more weekend of freedom and fun.

Speaking of squeezing, let me go back to my original point regarding ice cream.

I am going to admit to myself and everyone out there that I love, L-O-V-E ice cream.  During the summertime it actually feels like another food group.  It's very natural to swing through DQ for a small - I seriously do get a small - Oreo blizzard.  There's always coupons for ice cream in the Cub ad, which basically means I HAVE TO purchase it because it's on sale.  Right?!  And what a nice family outing to go for an ice cream cone walk after supper.  

While shopping for Anthony's birthday party I thought it was necessary to pick up the huge bucket of ice cream.  No, I didn't have a Cub coupon, but I rationalized it by saying our guests would want heaping amounts of ice cream to go with the Elmo cake.  Did they?  Well, not exactly.  More than half of the ice cream remained after everyone left.  Therefore, I have been taking it upon myself to make root beer floats, chocolate/Oreo malts, and to sneak bites out of the container during various times of the day.  (I cannot believe I just actually admitted to doing that!  However, an addict must share all of their habits, right?)

So even though I'm bummed that summer is ending I think it will be a good thing for my waistline.  I have tried on work clothes that fit me last school year and now I find myself squeezing into them with no luck.  In the past I could always blame that darn colon issue or the amount of pills I'm currently taking.  Unfortunately, this time around I only have myself to blame and my addiction to ice cream.

No comments: