Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Smart Girl

Once again, this posting's title does not refer to me, but rather a fellow blogger and friend. Lately the state of our economy has been weighing heavily on my mind.  The price of gas seems completely outrageous and the cost of groceries continue to creep up with each weekly visit to the grocery store.  All of it is overwhelming to take in and it makes me wonder where we are headed.  Can it get worse?  

I fear that it can and will.

Perhaps I worry more now because we are parents; perhaps I worry because it is in my nature to do so.  Or perhaps my concern and worry is justifiable in the times we are living in. 
I've resorted to taking out the stroller rather than the car if I have errands to make around town. Getting some exercise and spending the extra time is worth it in my eyes. The clipping of coupons and finding good deals has intensified.  I now base our weekly meals on what I can find in the Sunday ads.  Buying generic brands doesn't bother me if I can save money and still give tasty options to my family.  (This would be the perfect time to insert an apology.  As a child it used to drive me crazy when mom would get out her coupon book or dare to pick up the generic yellow or white box in the grocery store.  I can vividly remember a conversation she had with a friend about the great price on grapes at County Market.  Maybe I really did believe that money grew on trees out at Minnesota Power.)  The bottom line is that I now take the time to thoughtfully think about my needs and wants.  Lots of things can be put in the later category.
Again, is this all necessary or am I just worrying over nothing?
The Bain Blabber has recently written some thought provoking posts regarding our economy. Whether you agree or disagree with her thoughts and opinions it will definitely give you something to think over.  Take time to check out The Smart Girl who can more eloquently put her observations into a concise, factual writing.

No comments: