Friday, May 23, 2008

I Survived...

I was a bit worried and not super excited about going back to work this past week; however, I survived!  Anthony had a great time with Grandma Kathy on Wednesday and Thursday.  (I only called home once each day!)  Then on Friday he spent his first day at Renae's house.  (I have to admit that I stopped the car before and after dropping him off at day care so I could compose myself... ALSO, I didn't call her once throughout the day!  Amazing.)  When I picked him up I could tell he had a great day and the kids were excited to have him there as well.  They didn't want me to take him home!  I'm glad he liked Renae's house so much; having Anthony go in the fall will be much easier now.  
Right before going back to work the dreams and the mental to do list started.  (Residual side effects of being a teacher or perhaps just being me.)  I was so worried that I wouldn't remember students' names or that the connection we built together would no longer exist.  I was also worried that Anthony would think I had abandoned him.  
I should have put all of these needless worries to rest and just gotten some sleep.  Everything worked out just fine.  It really was nice to be back in my classroom with the students.  The past three days with them really confirmed why I am a teacher.  I love teaching English and I love being with seventh graders.  Even more than that, though, I love making connections with students beyond just the classroom.  It was very heartwarming to receive welcome back cards and gifts.  (Yes, I'm being serious.)  Who would have thought students would thank me for coming back to my classroom? Not me!  
On the flip side, it was hard to be reminded of the level of disrespect a teacher faces everyday.  I shouldn't have been shocked, but I was, to be confronted with rudeness, disrespect and bad character each and everyday.  My assumption was that everyone would be in a bit of a honeymoon period having me back and the end of the school year would run smoothly.  I really feel bad for my co-workers and friends who have dealt with so much in the past three months. It makes me wonder how long the good will outweigh the bad when it comes to teaching. How much can one take before a change is made?  I guess only time will tell.
Overall, I am thankful I have eleven days in my classroom before summer break begins.  It's nice to know that I can be away from Anthony and everything will go just fine.  (Perhaps Mark and I could have a date night before he turns ten?)  It was also nice to experience what day care will be like starting this fall.  Hopefully this mom won't be crying before and after dropping him off from now on!  The best part, though, is that I have eleven days to appreciate the summer even more than if I would have had the entire time off.  I am looking forward to our summer together!  We'll be camping, swimming, spending more time at the park and on walks, visiting family and friends, playing, exploring....  It will be great!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad everything went well and happy that you survived! I'm sure it was a challenge, but good for you. It's impressive that you only called once the first two days and not at all on the third! That proves you can definitely handle it. :)

I'm not surprised that you encountered some disrespect in the classroom. Kids seem to be getting nastier and nastier as time goes on. I know there are a lot of wonderful kids too and that there are some very rewarding moments, but it takes a very dedicated and patient person to be a good teacher. It's not an easy job, so kudos to you for sticking with it.