Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On Johnson Road

What a photo!
I absolutely love it.
It is a favorite and instant classic;
one that I will always cherish.
The two As that I love and am blessed to have in my life
posing in a mailbox on Johnson Road.
That mailbox is a part of my history, my heritage.
I can envision Grandma J standing by it.
Posing.
As always.
Smiling.
Loving life.
Exuding happiness.
Perhaps even singing her song --- "You make my day".
She would love this photo.
She would love the great-grand kid "packages" even more, though.
In just four days six years will have already passed.
Even though the pain has subsided her presence is missed.
I know I'll never hear...
"What a wonderful surprise!"
"If I would have known you were coming..."
"When you get older, you get bolder"
or
her voice reciting poetry or singing the songs she wrote.
But I wish so badly that I could.
It would be so nice to get a Grandma J card filled with stickers;
to sit down and talk about my year of teaching;
to read to her from her favorite Helen Steiner Rice poetry book;
to make Jiffy cake in her kitchen while drinking Tang.

Thank you my dear sister for your creative eye
when taking photos and seeing this shot.
You've managed to capture not just a picture,
but a memory,
a legacy,
our heritage
on Johnson Road.

2 comments:

LJFEIER said...

Lovely. Can't wait to hear what your students think. :)

Team Tuttle said...

Well said. :)