Sunday, September 5, 2010

Canning --- Seriously?!






I think aliens may have abducted my mind and body today.
Seriously.
Somehow I got the notion that I should make homemade salsa and can it.
Me.
Tonja.
The girl who watched her mom can everything from carrots to venison to apples growing up.
The key verb in that sentence is W-A-T-C-H-E-D.
I blame this notion all on my brother. He had to go and make this delicious, couldn't-stop-eating-even-if-I-tried-salsa last weekend.
I devoured it and, apparently, wanted more.
So this morning while clipping coupons and writing out the grocery list/supper plan for the week I decided to put pint jars on my list too.
Then I called mom.
This was the first call out of many. She's like my own personal You Tube tutorial on all steps making salsa and canning.
She's better than any recipe.
I spent the whole afternoon in the kitchen and enjoyed myself immensely.
There was great satisfaction of picking green peppers and ripe tomatoes from our garden and chopping everything up.
There was even greater satisfaction when I got everything completed, sans allrecipe.com's help, and called in The Taste Tester.
He grabbed a tortilla chip and then another and another and kept on scooping.
As the afternoon passed I found myself in the midst of a disastrous mess of a kitchen with two loaves of zucchini bread, six pints of salsa and a batch of chocolate chip cookies cooling on the racks wondering when I would be able to do it all again.
Perhaps all that watching from years ago is starting to transpire into something more?

2 comments:

Team Tuttle said...

I love it! Way to go Sista!! :)

Ashley said...

I wish I were so ambitious. I thought about it briefly as we had tomatoes and green peppers coming out of our ears. Was it harder than you thought it would be?