Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A's First Day

Today was the big day! As I started my tenth year of teaching, Anthony started his first year at preschool. For the very first time in my professional career I felt mentally ill prepared for my day because I was so preoccupied with thoughts of him. I now fully realize as a parent and teacher just how important that first day is for a student. It so crucial in setting the tone and making them want to go back.

I should back track a bit in this story.
Throughout the summer we've been talking about school. In the mornings we would walk by his classroom and look in; at night we would go to his school's park to play. He's been excited. He wanted to go.
Then school got closer and his worries set in.
I not want to go to school.
I not want to ride the bus.
I don't like school.
So Anthony and I met his teacher and spent time in his classroom. He LOVED it and wanted to stay and play.
Then he's motto changed to wanting to go to school, but not wanting to ride the bus.
Last Friday he and I took a trip to the bus garage where his bus driver, Ken, went over, above and beyond. He let Anthony get on the bus he would be riding everyday and then took it one step further by giving us a ride. When I told him he could just go around the block he kept on driving until we got to Renae's house. Then he opened the door and talked about how to get on and off the bus. By the time we left Ken and his "long" bus Anthony was beaming and so excited.
I like Ken.
I want to ride on Ken's bus.
I want to drive a bus like him when I get bigger.
All was going well until this weekend. I think the reality of actually leaving Renae's house during the day to ride the bus, go to school and then ride the bus back hit him. We had a tough weekend. One with lots of anger, acting out, breaking toys, hitting and yelling, slamming doors, etc. We tried to remind ourselves that the trigger of these actions was the transition to something new and scary, but that's hard to focus on when you are getting hit by a baseball bat or told your hated repeatedly.
This weekend was another reminder of the roller coaster ride Mark and I are on when it comes to parenting our little guy that very few people see or understand. Clearly we always need to be buckled up and ready for the highs and lows.

Thankfully Anthony slept throughout the entire night last night and woke up with a smile on his face. He was excited to wear his new Spiderman shirt and bring the thank you cookies to Ken and the other bus drivers at the garage. We got ready without a hitch and ahead of schedule.
As soon as we got into the van Anthony started talking about not wanting to go to school, not wanting to ride the bus, etc.
When we pulled into the bus garage's parking lot, Super Driver, Ken, was standing outside in the rain. I rolled down my window and he peeked in saying, "Hello there Anthony! Can't wait to see you on the bus today!" I thanked him, gave him the cookies and we made our way to Renae's house. The whole way there he talked non-stop about liking Ken, wanting to ride his bus and going to see his classroom again.
When I picked him up today it felt SO GOOD to hear that he had a GREAT DAY! (Those are usually few and far between...) He did well at Renae's, he got on the bus no problem, had fun at school and fell asleep on the bus ride back to Renae's because he was so pooped. Tonight he was telling us about snack time, the book they read, the toys they played with, the kids in class with the excitement about doing it all again tomorrow.
EXCITEMENT FOR SCHOOL!
I'm so thankful for an amazing daycare provider, bus driver and teacher because this wouldn't have happened without them. It really does take a village to raise a child...
I know this is only one day out of the whole school year, but I'll take it! These are the moments this roller coaster mom lives for and hopes for more of in the future.

5 comments:

LJFEIER said...

Yay! I was wondering how it went. :)

Team Tuttle said...

You don't know how happy I am to hear that the first day went well! Yay for Mommy and A! So, yes, the bus driver/teacher/day care provider are all awesome BUT YOU are also an amazing mother! To take all the extra steps to get A aquainted with his new surroundings was an awesome idea and it worked! Way To Go Mom! :) I'm praying for more school excitment to fill your house! LOVE YOU! (And of course, I missed your attendance at the Bridal Shower - I could have swore I got your RSVP in the mail?!?) :)

Erin said...

I love that you took the initiative to walk through all the things he would do. Afraid of the bus? Well go visit the bus garage and check out the bus! This just resounds as brilliant to me, you ARE such a great Mom to A!

Jo said...

Awesome! That was really smart of you to call Ken and that was great on his part too. I hope this positive momentum continues.

Ashley said...

Wow, that's wonderful! It must've been scary for you to send him off, wondering how he would do. Way to go to you for going above and beyond to help your son succeed (and to the nice people who let you do it)!