Sunday, September 26, 2010

Johnson Pickle Factory










The Johnson Pickle Factory has been up and running all summer long. This year not one, not two, but THREE gardens were planted by my brother and dad. Throughout the summer they have been enjoying a wide variety of fresh and pesticide-free fruit and vegetables. The canning process started a few weeks ago on nights and weekends with numerous quarts of mom's delicious dill pickles. This year I wanted to be a part of the process and start learning the trade of preserving food.
Anthony and I made the beautiful fall trek up to the GR/DR area this weekend. The leaves here are still a rich green; however, things quickly start to change the further north we would drive. Fall is "blooming" in full force and it's quite the sight!
The weather was beautiful and perfect for being outdoors harvesting. A helped Uncle Airwick load up a variety of goods in the old wagon while mom and I picked apples off of the tree. (He did come over to "help" too. I think that was more about quality control once again. He loves his apples!)
When we made our way inside we worked on peeling, coring and slicing apples - so slick with mom's Pampered Chef gadget! - and made quarts of apple pie in a jar as well as all natural apple sauce. While we worked on that Uncle Airwick made a surprisingly good roasted garlic jelly.
We ended the night with a family meal - the only person missing was Marko - and enjoyed homemade ravioli by Erik with a yummy Roma tomato & roasted garlic spaghetti sauce that mom and Erik had made the weekend before.
It was such a fun weekend. Hopefully A & I will be able to go back to "The Factory" soon and help out once again.

5 comments:

LJFEIER said...

I SO should have snuck over for that roasted garlic goodness. :)

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Yes, you should have! However, I have a feeling there was great food to be had at the cabin as well!

mama said...

it again was a fun filled weekend. a good time was had by all.I love my family and they mean the world to me. those grandsons are so special....I did wait for a long time..but girls you are always at the top of my list. love your mama

Team Tuttle said...

Whoa! Did mama just leave a message!?! Slow the blogging world down... I guess this means I'm going to have to clean up my comments and posts. He He! :) It was great to see you guys this last weekend - much love! :)

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Mom is commenting, Manda! She even has a "mama said" header now. Way to go, Mom! :)