Friday, October 3, 2008

Give Thanks

Today while driving Anthony to daycare I realized that it was October 3rd.  As he was crying and screaming in the back seat - Unfortunately, I couldn't find his "church car", which proved to be too much to handle that early in the morning - I was reminded that Mark and I have so much to be thankful for.  
Last year on this day we met with baby Angel and her mother. We were told the day before to prepare to have a baby come home with us and we should bring a car seat with us to the match meeting because the birthmom had already selected us.  All of this happened only two weeks after putting our profile into LSS's book.  I still remember getting the call from Mark after school and being overcome with emotions.  The day we were hoping for finally arrived -- or so we thought.  
That night we tried to prepare the house as much as we could, vacuumed out the car and headed to Monticello for some Feierabend help.  Luke showed Mark how to install one of their car seats while Jenn went through clothing and we made a quick trip to Walmart to stock up on the absolute essentials.  I still remember sitting around their dining room all feeling a bit shell shocked and overwhelmed.  I have NEVER seen Mark so emotional -- not crying, but just totally surprised and overwhelmed.  
That night I couldn't sleep at all.  All I could think about was meeting the little one who could potentially become our baby girl.  The possibility of becoming a parent was joyously overwhelming... I couldn't imagine how Mark could sleep through all of that excitement!
As you all know, obviously, the birth mom changed her mind and, as you may or may not know, a cloud of sadness settled over me for many months.  Even though I knew God had a plan for Mark and I it sometimes was hard to see through all the sadness that existed.  Luckily, I had several wonderful people to continue to cheer me through even the toughest of times.
Today I am thankful God had a plan and that plan existed even when I doubted it.  Anthony is meant to be with us -- he is our beautiful, spirited son who is so loved and treasured.  I couldn't imagine life being as sweet without him.  
All day today I've been giving thanks for our beautiful gift as well as for Cynthia who made everything possible.  She is such a precious part of our lives.  I am so thankful that God's plan included Anthony coming home to us and Cynthia being a part of our lives.
Also today I've been thinking of and praying for baby Angel.  I pray that wherever she may be that she's loved, cared for and is a healthy one year old.  Even though she wasn't meant to be ours she will always be in my thoughts and prayers.
What a beautiful memory and a great day of several pauses to give thanks for all that has transpired.  Adoption truly is a miraculous and an amazing blessing.  We will always be thankful.
For all of you Hanson cheerleaders out there -- Thank you for all your help and prayers a year ago and even now.  Your support is always appreciated and gives us even more reasons to be truly thankful.

No comments: