Monday, July 5, 2010

Memory Lane



The birthday girl!
Twin Bluff former colleagues --- Siri and Betsy
I've always loved this church on top of the hill
Twin Bluff Middle School

Yesterday we took a trip down memory lane driving the 101.9 miles to visit our old town of Red Wing. Our friend Siri turned 40 and that was a great reason to visit and help her celebrate. As we drove we took in the beautiful views and talked about our short lived time there. Although we've since moved on from this picturesque city on the river it holds a special place in our hearts.
Twin Bluff Middle School was where I spent my first two years of teaching English to seventh and eighth graders. I met so many wonderful individuals and have great memories of the years I taught there. (That's in spite of a 19 day strike my second year of teaching, having Ian A. tell me to "Suck my balls, Miss Johnson" and another student pin me up against a wall because he failed his 10-page research paper.) Those first two years were a struggle health-wise for me while I tried to balance constantly feeling ill while trying to learn how to be an effective teacher, but overall it really was a great learning experience. I am a better educator because of the foundation I built (and others helped build) those precarious first years.
It was during that time that I met Siri. Almost every Friday after work we would go out to Andy's, a local sports bar, for "a funeral" or "choir practice". Inevitably we would have a few drinks and then chat getting to know one another better. Eventually we started going for walks together and playing an occasional game of racquetball as well. Throughout all of this an unlikely friendship was formed. She loves to drink, can swear like a sailor and tends to see things more in a negative way. All of my sunshine, positivity, and smiling attitude really annoyed her, but still we hung out. I think that's why I was able to see all of the things others might skip over. She's compassionate, very giving and kind, has a great personality and would do absolutely anything she could to help out either Mark or myself. Siri is another reminder in my life that my friendships DO NOT need to be a "one size fits all" mentality. I like having a variety of friends who bring an assortment of different personalities, interests and behavior to my life.
We spent the whole afternoon/early evening visiting at Siri's house then we drove around town taking in the sites before we made our way back home. I left feeling a bit emotional and very grateful. Although we've moved on from our first town together as a couple in Red Wing we are thankful for the experiences we had there as well as the memories and friendships that were made. It was a great town to start our post-college, engaged to be married life.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

As they say, variety is the spice of life!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a few interesting students there!

Red Wing is a beautiful city. Gotta love those river towns! I'm glad you got a chance to go back and visit.