Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lake Minewaska Area









Wouldn't it be fun to rent a cabin?

Way back in May Mark emailed me this one line along with a link to a cabin he had found in the Glenwood (near Alexandria) area. Staying in a cabin really wasn't on our summer-filled-with-camping radar, but the idea stuck and we planned our first renting-a-cabin trip.
Typically if one is planning for a three night - four day getaway there is preparation involved.
Lists.
Researching.
Planning.
Maybe even a spreadsheet including those lists, research and plans.
Here's where I sometimes think that Tonja Clampit from the Oteneagen Road met and married Mark Griswold from 9th Street.
Sure we talked about our big cabin adventure and Mark had done some initial researching resulting in finding this cabin. I did start to make a list two days before we left, but it only covered the food we would eat. (The important stuff, right?!)
I started to list the other important items we would need, but lost interest after life jackets, bug spray, floaties and marshmallow roasting sticks.
Did we really need to create a list of everything?
Nah...

The Clampit-Griswolds aka Hansons were doing just fine getting the van packed up and ready to go Monday morning. We were making good time and I was mentally remembering everything that needed to go into the cooler and boxes. I even saved the whole trip by remembering to pack coffee and filters at the very last moment. I don't even like coffee, but I knew it was a must have for Mark.
Whew.

As we traveled down I-94 all was well until we're about 30 minutes from our destination. I realized I made a crucial mistake and was a bit fearful of Mark's reaction when he heard of my blunder.
Crap!
Crappity crap CRAP!
Uh, Mark...
Yeah?
I forgot something...
What?
Something major... I cannot believe I did this...
What did you forget?

Um, remember that Anthony peed out this morning?
Yeah.
And remember I washed his bedding?
Yeah.
Well I forgot to take it out of the dryer.
So?
His brown blanket was in there...
WHAT?!
How does a mom make this crucial, no brainer mistake of forgetting the coveted and comforting brown blankie?! He loves that thing and NEEDS to have it when he's upset or tired. Geez!
Mark and I immediately kick into high pitch, fun and adventurous mode for Anthony as we are simultaneously spotting the Walmart sign along the side of the road. It only took a few moments for A to be completely on board for purchasing a new and special blanket for our cabin adventure. He feverishly started listing all of the blankets he could possibly want and had completely forgotten about his beloved brown blanket.
Seriously?
Can this huge, larger than life problem be solved at a passing Walmart?
Apparently!
We came out with a Sponge Bob and Patrick fleece blanket and an excited kid ready to go to bed with his new blanket.
Really?
Wow!
Crisis diverted.

Throughout our stay we found there were many items - however, much smaller - that we had forgotten. Each time we would laugh, shake our heads and declare SPREADSHEET! at the same time.
Aloe Vera
wax paper
toothpicks
milk
asparagus
Spreadsheet, spreadsheet, SPREADSHEET!!
Maybe if I was a bit more like Erin or Jenn things like this just simply wouldn't happen to me???

One thing we didn't mess up on was completely enjoying our first cabin experience as a family. We had an absolutely amazing time and have fallen in love with another part of our state. The Lake Minnewaska area is beautiful. We so enjoyed the fishing, beaches, swimming, campfires, boating, sunsets and relaxing atmosphere. It was just what the Griswolds - er, I mean Hansons - needed for a Minnesota getaway in July.

1 comment:

LJFEIER said...

I forget something every single time. It's very normal. One Christmas Luke forgot to grab my entire bin from upstairs... I had nothing, not even a toothbrush. That was a bad one.
On another note, your sunset pictures ARE incredible. Cool stuff.