Thursday, July 15, 2010

Celebrating our Openness






I recently had a conversation in which the individual questioned the "openness" of our adoption. I'll be the first to admit that way back when adopting a child and then having an open relationship with a birth parent scared us. Mark and I completely worried about it and had no idea how it would actually work.
Then we met Cynthia.
Our match meeting on that fateful day was so natural. We liked her immediately and felt at ease when talking with her. That natural, honest communication started the moment we met and has continued throughout our adoption journey. Throughout our years together now we've always been able to talk with our focus being on the little boy we both love so much.

On Tuesday we got together for some fun at Como Zoo. A and I picked her up at her new apartment. There was no awkward silence or uncomfortable moments. It was just A in the van with his momma and birth mommy talking away in our constant natural conversation.
It felt good to see her and be reminded of the joy and wonder of adoption.
She picked us.
Later, as Anthony rode in his police car around the track, I found myself once again trying to express just how grateful I am to her for giving me the most amazing gift of motherhood to this beautiful little boy.
She could have continued to parent.
Heck, she could have terminated the pregnancy from the very beginning.
She could have picked some other couple.
But ultimately she picked us.
At the same time she was trying to convey to me just how much she loves Mark and I and how she knows she made the best decision for our Anthony. She knows he is loved and happy and believes we are great parents for him.

It's in these moments of gratitude and love that I become even more passionate about this journey of openness. It's not something to fear, but rather it should be celebrated. Adoption truly is a beautiful, miraculous gift that continues to leave me feeling so blessed.

1 comment:

LJFEIER said...

I love your attitude, chica. How lucky you all are to have such a good, honest relationship.