Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Week of Drills

This week at school we had a fire drill on Monday, a severe weather drill on Thursday and a soft lock down drill on Friday.
Uff Da!
On Friday I sat on the floor with my Jumpstart students in a locked, quiet and dark room with my daily cup of hot chocolate thinking about how sad it is that we live in a society that has to practice for potentially imminent and horrendous violence. 
That thought completely scares me.
What would I do?
Would our system that's in place keep everyone out of harm's way?
What if someone left to go to the bathroom or was coming back from the Media Center?
Could I possibly keep everyone safe?
Hopefully in my career I'll never be in a position to have to actually answer any of these questions and I can just continue to facilitate drills upon drills upon drills.

Addendum:
This is why these drills get me thinking....
A kindergartner?!
Why would a six year old bring a loaded gun to school?!
Why does a SIX YEAR OLD have access to a LOADED GUN?!
Brazil Shooting
A 23 year old gunman kills twelve children between the ages of 10-13 before killing himself.

These may seem like they're far away (perhaps like Columbine out in Colorado); however, some stories of school violence are way too close to home...
Red Lake
Hastings Middle School 
Rocori High School

Here's to no violence happening on 4/20 this year and just more practicing of drills...

1 comment:

Team Tuttle said...

Gonna have to agree - I hope you never are in a situation of having to protect all your students from harm!