Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Out-With

I decided this week to check out books from our middle school library that are popular with students, but I haven't had the chance to read them yet. After going through my list and pulling books from the shelf I had a "healthy" stack to keep me entertained for the next three months.
Today marks the first official day of summer for me and I've already completed one book, which feels great since I've been in an awful reading drought lately. I love reading, but needed to prioritize my time with work, correcting, family, therapy, sleep, etc. Unfortunately reading for pleasure got pushed to the bottom for most of this past school year. Hopefully that can change a bit this summer.
My first choice BLEW me away. Clearly there is a reason why this book was consistently checked out and I heard several book talks on it throughout the year. I'm already looking forward to doing my own book talk on it with next year's seventh graders and getting them excited about a great read to pick up and enjoy.

From the moment I opened to the inside cover I was hooked and knew I was in for another great read.

The story of The Boy in Stripped Pajamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we give some clues about the book on the jacket, but in this case we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what it is about.

If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy called Bruno. (Though this isn't a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence.

Fences like this exist all over the world. We hope you never had to encounter such a fence.

What an introduction. It really says very little, but speaks volumes. Not surprisingly I enjoyed reading this Holocaust themed novel about Auschwitz "Out-With" and getting a child's perspective looking from the outside in. The ending is absolutely incredible. Clearly my students all understood that this book is a must read.

Here's to finding more time, going through my stack of young adult lit and getting lost in story after story.
Oh, how I love you summer!

7 comments:

The Sellheim Story said...

Amazing, huh! Love it too.

Maira said...

I think they have or are making it into a movie as well.

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

I know, Maira. I actually think this would be one book I really would like to see the movie version. The story line is great and so powerful.

Maria said...

I loved that book, too! Sad, gripping, and heart-wrenching because of the child's perspective. I can't wait to hear about all of the books you'll be reading this summer! My stack is tall as well, because like you, often leisure reading is pushed to the bottom of the priority list. However, I'm hoping this summer I can find some time to absorb myself in GREAT stories! For now I'm reading The Lightning Thief and a book by Christopher Moore called "Dirty Job". Moore's books are the kind that make me laugh out loud, which I think is how every summer should start!

Emily said...

The movie is already is out on DVD. I rented it a while back. Very well done. I've read a few books and have seen a few movies on the subject, but not in this point of view. I won't say much else, I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

I'll have to pick up the book, i didn't realize it started out as a book.

LJFEIER said...

The movie is amazing... ly sad.

Buster Brown said...

Don't watch the movie. Too depressing.