Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bike Love

My first bike was red with a white banana seat and a plastic, white woven basket with a flower adorned on it attached to the handle bars. I remember the day my dad took off the training wheels and I made it all the way to the corner of our driveway before I took a spill. It was on that bike not only did I learn to ride, but experienced freedom. (Or as much as a youngster can living out in the country.) I proudly cruised Oteneagen Road, went on family bike rides, rode over with Erik to Granny's house and met up with my Girl Scout friend, Erin, at the end of the tarred road.
As I grew older I dreamed of having a new bike.
I remember scouring the Jurvelin's Hardware Hank ads looking for the perfect one. When I found it I became completely obsessed.
It was way better than Erik's must have BMX bike for jumps and performing those extreme Mountain Dew commercials and my old red one.

It was beautiful.
I knew I had to have it.
The bike I loved was powder pink with gray and had the coolest, curled handle bars. It was a ten speed and a huge leap up from the red banana seat bike. It was almost if I could claim being an official teenager with a bike like that.
Like I said, once I saw it I became obsessed and started the negotiation process with my parents. I don't remember how long this took, but I do remember sleeping with the Hardware Hank ad and dreaming of this bike.
One day I came home and my dad asked me to go check in the back of his truck. Of course I was instantly annoyed and didn't want to. I protested for awhile, but then reluctantly went back outside. My annoyance quickly turned into joy when I saw my new bike waiting for me.

Now I'm 32 and have been without a bike for years. It's probably been a good decade since I've even hopped on a bike and let the wind blow through my hair. The last bike trip I can concretely remember is from our high school's senior skip day when two great girlfriends and I opted not to drink, but rather ride the trail by the mine pits in Grand Rapids. Mark and I have talked about getting bikes, but nothing has ever transpired.
All of that changed for me this year, though. Anthony has been in love with his trike and gave little attention to his Lightning McQueen bike he got for his birthday until this spring. Now he likes to ride it and is doing a great job biking to the park or around the block. Mark ended up fixing his old college mountain bike and A and I took our first trip around town (okay, just a few blocks) a couple days ago. Needless to say, I was in love with biking once again and Anthony thought it was so cool that we went for a "long" ride. I love the idea that it is something else that we can positively do together as we continue to work on being a family.
Unbeknownst to me, Mark started looking on Craig's List to find me my own bike. Yesterday he let me know that while we were at swimming lessons he was going to go over to Zimmerman to check out a used mountain bike. Shortly after we got home Mark arrived and pulled out a brand new (well to me that is) bike.
I was giddy!
It was just what I wanted!
Immediately I hopped on and took it for a ride around our side of town and fell in love with it. Some times it's difficult to shift into gear and it makes some strange noises, but I think that makes it even better. This bike has a history, a story just like me.
It's absolutely great.

I thanked Mark repeatedly and last night before he went to bed I thanked him once again.
His reaction?
Tonja, it's just a used $35.00 bike.
Clearly he doesn't see what I see. It goes way beyond the bike. This was another way he actively shows me how much he cares. When you love someone you want to give them the things they desire whether it's a brand new ten speed or a used mountain bike. I think my dad would be pleased to know that the love he started as the main man in my life has continued on in my adult married life. Last night I was wrapped up in all of that love and feeling fortunate to be married to not just any guy, but my guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd not be me if I didn't call you a nerd right about now.... ;)

we should plan a weekend where we could bike...??? Northshore in Aug?

Ashley said...

Curt and I almost bought bikes a couple years ago, too. We looked at a bike shop and were glad we didn't spend the money, but it is something that I would love to do as a family. Maybe someday...