Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Just my luck...

I absolutely love playing games. I think it all started way back with rounds of Sorry, Splat!, and Hungry, Hungry Hippos with my siblings. As I got older I fell in love with cribbage while playing with Erin and then Boggle became a family favorite too. Of course our family got addicted to Tetris and Mario games when we got our Nintendo system, but for the most part I grew up playing board games. In college Rachel, Molly and I never put away our games; they were always left in the living room so that we could occupy our time in other ways than studying! It was during those years that I played cribbage almost nightly as well as Hand and Foot. Playing games has just become a staple in my life.
Sadly, for me, that hasn't been the case lately. I cannot even remember the last time Mark and I pulled out a game to play. It just doesn't happen any more. Needless to say, I was elated when he suggested we play a round of Scrabble this weekend! (I can remember lots of fun times hanging out and playing Scrabble in our ten years together. The best was a few years ago when it was super cold and snowy over the winter break and we were stuck indoors trying to stay warm. We spent those couple of days eating, drinking hot chocolate and playing multiple rounds of Scrabble.)
Anyway, it was a great game on Saturday. The score was close, the words we were coming up with were good and it was great to spend time playing together once again. Then Zoey comes along to see what we were doing and walks all over the board. Great.
I guess I'll have to wait for another full moon, 40 below zero day when the stars align and Anthony takes a long nap to get in another game. (Maybe by then I can fully learn all of the crazy "Bergeron rules".)

6 comments:

Team Tuttle said...

That stinks! Not only that - you were probably ready to put the 'smack down' on Mark!

Maira said...

lucky...brian doesn't even dare play Scrabble (although he humored me for my birthday) since it was/still is the McGinnis staple. However, the Simonsons' are serious card players...hand and foot being just one of many.

Erin said...

I find it funny that when you were here I thought "the Bergeron rules" were the actual rules for Scrabble. I like our rules though.

Emily said...

Erin, and what's more funny...wouldn't they technically be the Pederson rules?

Anonymous said...

WHAT is THIS?!?!?! The rules played in the Bergeron (Pederson) House of Scrabble are not official? Oh the controversy!!!

~Mara

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

I must admit that I like the Bergeron/Pederson rules. They are a lot of fun and make Scrabble a bit more interesting even if I was a bit surprised during our last game. :)