Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Beautiful Tribute

Today I had an amazing moment in class with my first block of students.  Towards the end of the block the students were writing down the homework in their assignment books when a couple students realized it was September 11th - 9/11 - which lead to a conversation about this day.  The students all agreed they would like to do something to commemorate this day and remember all the people who lost their lives.  At the end of the block we stood up, placed our hands over our hearts and said the Pledge of Allegiance.  
It really was a beautiful, spontaneous moment.
What happened quite possible could be my favorite teaching moment of all time.  
Those students showed such maturity and an understanding for something that happened when they were only four and five year olds.  I was proud of them, proud to be their teacher and I had to try really hard to stop the tears from flowing.  
I love being pleasantly surprised and reminded of all of the good that happens along with the bad in this world.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow, I can't believe they were only four or five when it happened and they know the severity of that day. And were still touched by it 7 years later. Wait, 7 years already? Is that right? It must be.