Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Big Snub

Best Picture nominees for 2009:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Actor in a Leading Role nominees for 2009:
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Back in January we went to Gran Torino staring Clint Eastwood. I will openly admit that I wasn't too excited to go because Eastwood is probably one of my least favorite actors and I didn't think the movie looked that wonderful. I'll be the first to admit that I was completely wrong. Eastwood was amazing, the best I have ever seen him, and the movie, although filled with racial slurs and hatred that probably wasn't "PC" even though it was 100% realistic, had a great overall theme and message that everyone could learn from.
So why the big snub?
Even though I see very little movies these days I'm baffled that I don't see Gran Torino or Eastwood under best picture and actor. Seriously?
Anyone else feel this way?

1 comment:

LJFEIER said...

I completely agree. Great movie that everyone should see; however, it sounds like the others were deserving as well! I added a ton of new movies to my Netflix queue. :)