Friday, February 27, 2009

Anthony's Gotcha Day!

February 27, 2008
This day will be forever etched into our memory. We had to have a week of transition for Anthony's well being and then we were able to finally take him home. On that Wednesday we met at Ed and Sally's house, the fabulous foster parents, at 1:00 to visit with Cynthia, fill out some final paperwork and then bring our little boy home. I remember feeling like this moment was completely surreal. We were so excited and couldn't wait to start our lives as a family. I still wonder how we got so lucky. Clearly God was in charge of bringing us all together.
I love this picture that was taken on this day a year ago. Hopefully as Anthony grows up and looks back he'll see what I see every time I look at it --- love. Everyone in this photo dearly loves him and wants the very best for his life. All of us worked together and continue to work together to ensure that will happen.

On the way home he snoozed. It was the first time I was able to just stare at our sleeping baby. I couldn't resist taking photos just like I couldn't take my eyes off of him. After all the paperwork, heartache and constant prayers HE was HERE with US. Complete joy filled our car that afternoon.
That night after dinner - chicken and rice - we had bath time. I have to giggle now at the lack of water and zero toys in the tub with him!

He slept through the entire night as Mark and I worried about whether we were too far away and what if the monitor wasn't working properly and probably a million other "what ifs". The next morning was an early one and we relished the time laying in bed together.

It's been fun to look back and reminisce this past week about the events that transpired a year ago. To think that we are unable to have our own child, but are still given the amazing gift of being parents is an unbelievable blessing. Tonight as we celebrated by eating at Perkins - a tribute to Anthony's birthmommy's favorite restaurant - I couldn't help but be filled with contentment. February 27th will always be a day to reflect, give thanks and celebrate!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy "Gotcha" Day, Hanson Family!!

Erin said...

Love the pics and congrats for a great day. Anthony looks so little!

Emerson, Brockton and Marquette Hare said...

Anthony looks like a baby is that pic of him sleeping. He has changed so much!

Team Tuttle said...

I cannot believe how tiny he looks! Such a baby! I love "Gotcha Day"...

LJFEIER said...

I LOVE the bath picture, and I laughed out loud at the water level and lack of toys. He has grown up so much!
Okay, so it's officially been a year- how about you get the process going again? :)))

meade said...

Great post, Tonja! Thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts of such a special day! The pictures are great!

Unknown said...

Wow! Hard to believe it has been a year already. It'll always be a day to celebrate. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the celebration of such a special day!!! How awesome!

Much love and blessings to you all!

-The Saari's

Ashley said...

Happy Gotcha Day! What a beautiful Mommy post! YOU have yet again tugged on MY Mommy heartstrings. :)