Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What You Do Matters


There are always so many reminders that I've made the right career choice.
This morning the seventh grade team met in the pod to learn the results of last week's Penny Challenge. Altogether the students raised $1,028.31 in one week for Minnesota Nice, which helps out soldiers who are deployed. The students were so respectful throughout our gathering as well as super excited to hear the final results. It was such a neat moment and I'm so proud of all the students who participated and made a difference. (I'm proud of Wonder Jenn, too, for coming up with this idea and organizing everything for our team. GREAT JOB!)
After the meeting a student gave me a letter she wrote as a homework assignment for another class. She needed to let someone know that she appreciates them and that they make a difference in their lives. The letter really was sweet and validating; a definite keeper. (Plus she mentioned that it was actually fun learning more about nouns and adjectives! It's must have been the awesome video we watched in class; I still have the song stuck in my head.)
During my prep another student visited me to give me her amazing smiley face cookie creation, which was unbelievably thoughtful, so appreciated and a great surprise.
Like in any career it's nice to know what you do matters.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Those little moments where the kids express how much you mean to them in one way or another make the struggles worth it, don't they?

LJFEIER said...

You left out the part where you cried. Multiple times.

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Oh, that's right, Jenn. I guess I left that part out. No one would be too surprised by my constant tears, though. :)