Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Gift of a Card

Too many people don't see the value in a card. Mark always tells me to skip the card; I could just tell him happy birthday. However, I don't see things that way. In my eyes, a card is such a wonderful gift in and of itself. I cherish the ones I receive.
I love buying, giving and receiving cards. Yes, an email or note on facebook is nice, but nothing could be better than physically going to the mailbox and finding a handwritten envelope waiting for you. I love cards so much that I typically take a monthly trip to Hallmark to stock up and I even keep the cards we receive in a special place in our kitchen. I love looking back on old cards and rereading them too. My favorites are from my Grandma J. She continued to write to me even when she became blind. Even though the writing is hard to read the love she had for me is completely evident. She cared enough to still want to stay in contact and send something special. (Plus she loved using stickers and has definitely passed that trait onto me.) The best cards are the ones that are unexpected throughout the year. I have two cards from my friend Rach that she sent just this year. I'll probably never want to throw them away because she rarely writes and will admit she's not always the best when it comes to keeping in touch.
This time of year is wonderful for a card addict like myself! I look forward everyday to coming home and seeing what mail has been delivered for the day. Getting the yearly updates - I enjoy the "brag letters" even though some poo poo them - and photos from family and friends is such a joy. We put up all the pictures for a few months to look at and then they all go into a holiday album so I can look back on them and enjoy them throughout the year and years to come.
So thank you to all the individuals and families who take the time to do this every year. I know it's time consuming and it cost money, but it really is wonderful and gives me something to look forward to each and everyday. Just this week I had three wonderful gifts waiting for me in our mailbox! Thank you Lefebvre family (First place this year! I LOVE the family shots, Erin!), Follstad family (Solid second place --- you'll get back on top next year! Great letter, Dawn!) and Zenner family (Renae you are amazing. I still cannot believe your shopping and cards are completed for the holidays! You get a holy-smokes-you-can-do-EVERYTHING award!) for the gift of your update.
I am looking forward to finding many more gifts as the holiday season continues on.

2 comments:

The Hanson Hat Trick said...

Thank you, Mol, for the wonderful, out of the blue card today. It made my day!

Anonymous said...

Loved the updates (they kept me entertained while I ate lunch solo today!)!!! I also loved the Hanson Hat Trick 2009 Christmas card!

~Mara