Friday, January 6, 2012

Introducing Taitum Jane


Today was destined to be amazing!


From the moment I got the call around 4:00 this morning - The baby is coming!  The baby is coming!  The baby is coming! (My students made a fabulous ring tone just for this occasion!) - I was filled with anticipation and excitement.   

I'm not sure if any experience could ever top having the privilege to be a part of welcoming a child into this world.  It was just completely amazing.  

Meet my hero....


My sister has always been amazing; however, it took me awhile to see it.  (I always cringe at the early years when I had the mindset of I'm-five-years-older-and-so-much-better-than-you....)  Ever since I left for college we started a relationship that has grown into daily and multiple conversations about anything and everything that's honest and real and raw.  She is my best friend.  She always makes a bad situation brighter and makes normal, everyday life so much better with her great sense of humor.

Speaking of humor, I love the picture that was captured today.  Not only was she a ROCK STAR because she got into an amazing pattern of breathing, focusing and zoning the world out through every contraction she also stayed true to her spunky, hilarious personality, which kept everyone laughing.  The delivery room today was a perfect mixture of peaceful serenity and Manda's natural comedy hour.  Through all of her pain she remembered every doctor and nurses' name and had them laughing with her "did you bring the quiche - I'm starving"...."I need a quiet sign they use in golf to hold up through contractions"...."ding ---- services needed in layaway"...."make sure your hand gets lost up there so you can tell me I'm at a 10"...."do you hear a cat meowing?"....

I was so impressed with her ability to stay calm and work through all of the pain.  I was amazed that she didn't make a sound and had a great rhythm of laboring.  Simply put, I am so very proud of her!  She truly was amazing.

NOTE: I realize I am being redundant and using the word amazing way too much in a single piece of writing.  However, today truly was just that.  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  


All of the stars definitely aligned today and Manda got the perfect team of nurses and doctors.  They immediately picked up on her labor rhythm and went with it; they were sure to explain every step in detail and answer any questions with utmost patience; and they, too, appreciated the tone/fun (yes, FUN, at times) of the room.  They were a perfect mixture of being good natured, professional and real.  It really was a pleasure to watch all of them work and see how they were helping Manda to have the best experience possible.

The countdown:

6:30 - The Tuttles arrive in Duluth after many long hours/days of contracting
7:00 - The first check reveals she's dilated to a NINE!
7:30 - I arrive breathless thinking I was going to miss out on the action - YIKES!
10:25 - The epidural was completed and her water was broken.
10:50 - The final check revealed she was dilated to a TEN!
11:15 - Final preparations are made - the nurses are ready - let's do this!
11:17 - The first push begins
12:23pm - After sixty-six minutes of pushing a miracle entered this world!



Taitum Jane Tuttle
January 6, 2012
12:23pm

6 pounds 13 ounces
20 inches long

100% loved and wanted
A complete miracle


Thank you, Damon and Manda, for allowing me to be a part of this beautiful experience.  I will cherish this day forever.  xoxo


PS - Could this be my welcome back to the blogging world after months of being silent?!  We'll see...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love everything about this!!! Congrats to all; she's beautiful!!

meg said...

This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your story and pictures of this AMAZING day!!! :) What a miracle!

I can't wait to meet Miss Taitum!

LJFEIER said...

So in love with this post. A miracle, indeed.

ClubChanga5 said...

I have missed your blog entries and what a perfect way to resurface! What an awesome day for you and the Tuttles. Amazing indeed!

Jo said...

Beautiful.

Team Tuttle said...

I cannot thank you ENOUGH for being there with me on that amazing day and sharing in that amazing moment! I couldn't have done it without my two best friends by my side... however, you could learn to count a little faster. ;) Love you! :)