Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to School

One would have thought that Santa was arriving the next day with all the excitement and inability to fall asleep at our house last night.  The thought of starting another school year made for a restless night for the both of us.  Anthony was still awake way after 11:00.  When I went into his room he told me he was just too happy to fall asleep.  Luckily, going to school is still deemed as being fun.

The best part of our going back to school day wasn't the sensory overload this morning, which resulted in the jacket being flung out the sliding glass door and taking over 25 minutes just to get dressed.  (Those DARN socks and the "stupid" new hoodie daddy bought this weekend!)  It happened the night before while the two of us rocked, prayed and spent a little snuggle time together.  I was opening up and sharing with him that I felt really excited, but nervous at the same time hoping I could touch on some of the same feelings he was having as well.  Anth immediately wanted to know why I would be nervous and I said that I'm worried I might not say the right thing or the students won't like me.  Again thinking that he might be feeling the same way inside.  It was the next thing he said that I was unprepared for.  It was one of those buckle your seat belt moments in life.  It was a statement that took my breath away and filled me with such incredible love ---- Anthony's love.  For me these moments are even more special because they are so very rare and they show me that all we're doing as Anthony's parents has a purpose and absolutely does matter.

"Momma, don't be nervous about meeting your students tomorrow.  
They'll love you just like I do."

Unbelievable.  I had to write it down immediately so I wouldn't forget.



Clearly I have a thing or two to learn from the budding photographer, Bubsa Boo.  The top picture is my attempt to capture his first day back while the bottom is his I-must-take-a-picture-of-your-first-day-too shot.  He nailed it while I got a shot of fuzziness.  I think a take two will be in order for tomorrow.  Just goes to show me once again that I have so much to learn from my little (big) boy!

Here's to another great school year and more glimmers of hope.

4 comments:

Team Tuttle said...

So glad to hear that Anth was excited for school and hopefully enjoyed it! Praying tomorrow morning will be a little less 'sensory' and a little more easy going! :) Love you guys!

Jo said...

Wise words!

Sara said...

Love Anthony's comment! You and Mark are giving him so much! Hope this first week went well. Busy for us, but went well. Isla's in preschool 2 full days a week this year and loving it! I think I'll be the scared one next year when it's time to send her to kindergarten. Take care, love your posts!

ClubChanga5 said...

LOVE!!!