Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Green Machine

On Monday night we went to Anthony's first (hot and sticky) T-Ball practice and game in Monticello.  I was nervous.  Last year I took him to a week of a sports sampler class and he wanted nothing to do with it.  He refused to participate and it was painful as a parent to watch wanting so desperately to jump in and help.  When he gets into new social situations he tends to shut down and that was my worry.
However, I was optimistic that this year would go better because of the growth he has shown and because he was so darn excited.  His new glove was ready to go and a huge smile was plaster on his face as we drove to the field.  The extra bonus was the fact that Ry and Cam would be there too and that Mark & Luke would be coaching and out on the field with him.
For an hour I sat there in awe and felt a bit emotional as I watched Anthony.  Yes, he clung to Mark and was very timid (totally NORMAL behavior), but he was OUT THERE and DOING IT with some extra coaxing. 

 He was fielding the ball with daddy by his side and throwing it back to another coach.
 He was excited to wear his new shirt, glove and try on the helmet.  (This sounds easy, but trust me it's not when a kid struggles with sensory issues.)
 He practiced at the tee, got a hit and even interacted with Luke.
And, best of all, he was BEAMING during the game when he hit the ball and ran all of the bases!

That smile and joy always makes the tough moments worth it!  The growth and change that has been made from last summer to right now is AMAZING.  I know this wasn't an easy task for Anth, which makes me so darn proud (and, as always, hopeful).  There are five more practices/games remaining and I'm looking forward to seeing Anthony grow as a member of The Green Machine.

3 comments:

LJFEIER said...

Awesome pics! It should be a great "season." :)

LJFEIER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

Awesome! I am so excited for Anthony and you and Mark.