Monday, January 18, 2010

Oteneagen Cafe

It used to drive me nuts when us kids wanted to eat out (which, I am sure, was just about every time we were in Grand Rapids) and dad would state we were eating at the Oteneagen Cafe instead. All three of us would groan in the backseat with the knowledge we would be heading home for our meal. Now that I am older I wish there was an Oteneagen Cafe to go to. Sure there's the trips up north where we will eat at mom and dad's, but it's still not the same.
My parents did what I wish I could do for my family now. For the most part they bypassed processed foods (however, our family was big on Hamburger Helper and had an evil candy drawer) and went the healthier route. At one time my parents had two gardens that my mom would can the vegetables as well as make yummy sauces. I also grew up with fresh beef, chicken and pork as well as venison from the fall hunt. I believe most of what they did was to be thrifty and save money; however, it allowed our family to always have fresh and healthy food.
Many of my mom's recipes consisted of meat and potatoes as well as the beloved Minnesotan casserole/hot dish. While looking for something new to make last week I came across one of her recipes --- Chicken Wild Rice Casserole. It had been years since I had this delicious dish and eating it brought me right back to my childhood. I could envision getting off the activity bus with dad or mom waiting for me in the car at the end of our road and then walking into the house to smell this lovely meal. (Of course, I probably scoffed at dinner and complained about having chicken again...) When I made it last week it honestly wasn't as good as mom's --- it never is! --- but it helped to have Pietila's wild rice to make the dish complete. Thanks mom for all the great recipes you've made over the years and shared; thanks dad for giving me some of Pietila's wild rice and helping to bring a little slice of home down to Becker.

Chicken Wild Rice Casserole

1/2 c wild rice
1/2 tame rice (Minute)
1 can onion soup
1 can water
1 chicken cut up (I used chicken breasts instead)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can water

Put rice in the bottom of a greased pan. Cover with onion soup and water. Place chicken on top of rice. Then pour chicken soup and water over the top. Bake uncovered for two hours at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

Team Tuttle said...

I love that meal too! I do recall getting so upset when dad would respond with Oteneagen Cafe - who would have thought that I prefer that place now that we're grown?! I would also have to agree that my 'mom meals' never turn out as well as when she prepares them!