Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Inspired

Lately I have an anonymous giver of little notes who seems to know just the right words to say to give a boost and smile to my day. Even though the action itself is small it's impact is huge. I've cried and smiled and have been so thankful that someone cares enough about our situation to think of me and send much needed reminders. I've been soaking in their thoughts and reflecting on my own life ever since the notes started to appear.

You are an amazing woman. You are an exceptional mom.
Celebrate your accomplishments large and small. Everyday.
My difficulties make me strong.
"Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." - Oprah

Things have been going much better with Anthony these last two weeks. The anger has subsided for now; however, there is much work to be done to make sure we can help him overcome his past. I wouldn't say our lives are easy peasy (Is anybody's life?), but it's better, more manageable and not so heartbreaking. It makes me feel like we're back on track and that Mark and I, as a forever team, can do this. We can be the "therapy" that Anthony so desperately needs and wants.

This thoughtful individual has got me thinking about how I can give more to others to lend my support or to show I care. It seems to me that caring for and giving to others is a gift we all have and should utilize more often. Tonight I came across an article on ivillage.com that caught my interest. Even though it's a long one that has basic, simple, non-earth shattering ideas, I love it! I think it's simplicity is what makes it so wonderful and doable; this list really could have an impact. Just think if everyone picked one or two off of the list to consciously do everyday and those people decided to "pay it forward" to make someone else's day. The impact would be significant. You really could make someone's day, change a perception or help someone through a difficult moment in their own life. You could be just like my anonymous and wonderful giver of words.

What will your number be today?

72 Ways to Make Someone's Day

Doing something special to make someone's day almost always means making your own day better too. The time required is often short, but the effects are long lasting. You'll be inspired by the many ways iVillage women like to spread joy -- to family, friends, coworkers, even strangers.

1. Say it with flowers: "My husband and I are avid gardeners, so we always have flowers growing in the garden. I love to pick one or two for someone I know who needs cheering up. Flowers, especially from a home garden, can brighten anyone's day." --iVillager Heather
2. Nourish: "I do a lot of cooking for families who have health issues. There's an older couple in our church, and recently the husband had kidney surgery. I prepared a roast, a few trimmings and a cake, and brought it to them." --iVillager txlynn
3. Create memories: "After a family occasion, I send a photo of the event to those who attended to create a lasting memory." --iVillager cm-jennifer
4. Express your love: "I often put a sticky note in my husband's lunch bag telling him I love him, or I drop a couple of little candy hearts or something special like that in the bag." --iVillager Becky
5. Speak up: "I like to say, 'I saw what you did and it was really great!' or just give a quick hug and say, 'You're really important to me.' It's the words we often forget to use that are so vital to each of us." --iVillager Zanna
6. Be corny: "It's corny, but I like to leave notes where I know my kids will see them during the day. I write simple things like 'I love you' or 'Ha, ha, you're in school and I'm not.'" --iVillager cl-staplemom
7. Do something unexpected: "Doing little unexpected things for a family member, friend or neighbor is always great, but doing something for someone that would never expect it is also a special joy. One time when I was at a bookstore, I noticed that the lady who waited on me was the only one working. She was really working at being pleasant even though she was overworked. I went across to a grocery store, bought a potted plant, walked back into the bookstore, handed the flowers to the lady and said, 'I hope your day gets better.' She smiled and said, 'It just did. Thank you so much.'" --iVillager cmmarcia
8. Bake an extra batch: "I love baking, so I will often make up a 'care' package for my neighbors, who also mostly happen to be my in-laws, and drop it off unexpectedly. For example, if I'm making the cookies my niece loves, I'll drop some off for her to enjoy." --iVillager Beth
9. Listen: "Listening to people and really hearing them is a very important way of letting them know you care. Don't just listen with your ears, listen with your heart, and try to remember some of the things they have told you. For example, if a friend tells you that a family member is having an operation in two weeks, try to remember to ask if that person is recovering okay after the operation." --iVillager Heather
10. Encourage sharing: "My kids sometimes have trouble with self-esteem or problems with kids at school. I make special treat bags for them to take to school and share. It makes everyone happy." --iVillager txlynn
11. Smile: "When I see someone in a store or somewhere looking grouchy, sad or just tired, I give them a great big smile and greeting. Sometimes they'll look at me like I'm nuts, but often they perk up too!" --iVillager Becky
12. Babysit: "Every few months, I plan a 'fun day' with my four-year-old cousins to give their mom a break and strengthen my relationship with the children." --iVillager cmjennifer
13. Do for those who can't: "I go and clean for some elderly people that I know." --iVillager Karen
14. Use snail mail: "The old-fashioned post definitely makes someone's day. To send your spouse or longtime friend (even if they live in the same city or in the same house!) a funny or sweet postcard makes an instant connection. Striking or funny words are powerful but not necessary; a simple note reverberates when held in one's hand." --iVillager Julia
15. Flatter: "I give a sincere compliment." --iVillager cl-betseyhoey
16. Be sappy: "I send mushy emails to my kids, who are both married and living out of town. It embarrasses them a bit, but that is what mothers are for!" --iVillager Becky
17. Heal: "I've been known to go shopping then over to a sick friend's house to make homemade chicken and dumpling soup." --iVillager Mere
18. Break convention: "I send 'thinking of you' cards when there's no 'Hallmark' reason to do so. People expect cards on birthdays, anniversaries, etc. And that's great. But I like to drop a line every now and then just for the heck of it. Sometimes I send along pictures my kids have drawn, a snapshot or a newspaper clipping -- anything that says "I was thinking of you just because I like you." --iVillager Sarah
19. Give light: "I buy candles for my friends. I know it sounds silly, but I think just giving someone a 'little light' makes them (and me) a bit happier." --iVillager kaitsmama
20. Wave: "I've been known to wave at a neighbor passing by in her car, even if I don'tknow her." --iVillager cmalysia
21. Lend a hand: "I like helping someone with heavy packages or directions." --iVillager Caryn
22. Offer an unexpected treat: "I call an elderly lady from church and offer to take her shopping or out to lunch." --iVillager Becky
23. Share a story: "I think my favorite way to make someone's day is to read to them. This is something I reserve for people I don't get to connect with on a daily basis. I'll just call up a long-distance friend and after chatting, say, 'This is something you have to hear ...' and read part of a magazine article or odd news tidbits to them. If the New Yorker staff only knew how happy my friends are that I have a subscription!" --iVillager Julia
24. Babysit: "Nothing lights up a friend's face more than saying, 'I'd love to watch your kids tonight so you guys can go out.'" --iVillager Mere
25. Close the distance: "When my husband traveled, I would put a 'missing you' card in his suitcase so he would find it after he got to his destination." --iVillager cmjoyce
26. Spare a dime: "When I see a kid's bike outside a store, I put some change on the seat. I can just imagine their expressions over this 'found money.'" --iVillager Marian
27. Mend a broken heart: "I like to do things for friends when they're heartbroken. I send a card via snail mail along with a gift that is specific to that person. For example, a friend of mine was sad over a breakup with her longtime boyfriend, so I bought her a journal that had uplifting quotes on each page. This way she could write down her feelings and see positive quotes at the same time." --iVillager Sarah
28. Pamper: "I gave a waiter at my favorite restaurant a gift certificate for a massage." --iVillager Marian
29. Present a pick-me-up: "I pick up small toys and gifts on clearance. Then, when my girls do something extra special or are sick, or a friend needs a pick-me-up, I just rummage through my 'stuff' and pick out a cute little something." --iVillager Mare
30. Celebrate: "The night before my roommate's birthday, I wait until she goes to sleep and then I decorate her door with balloons and streamers." --iVillager Kerci
31. Be there: "When my best friend came to visit me, she insisted on taking a cab from the airport. I told her I would meet her at my apartment, but I went to the airport instead and surprised her." --iVillager sachuest443
32. Joke where it's least expected: "I send friends funny little e-cards that they can read at work. It's a great way to perk up someone's day at the office." --iVillager Charity
33. Turn a frown around: "I smile and wave when I see a cranky kid in a shopping cart. It usually stops the whining and puts a smile on the mom's face." --iVillager cmalysia
34. Straighten up: "I love to make my husband's day by making the bed each morning. I know this may sound like a small thing to those who were born organized, but for those of us who are neat-challenged, it's a big deal. I actually try to make it even when I'm running late because of the smile it puts on his face. In fact, just the other day he told me what a pleasure it was to come home to a bed that is made!" --iVillager haylek
35. Break the so-called rules: "I write a short note in lipstick on my teenage daughter's mirror to let her know how awesome I think she is!" --iVillager Tam
36. Mix up some music: "I make mix tapes for friends. When I include songs that I think they will like or know they already do like, it lets them know I'm thinking about them. They're fun projects too!" --iVillager farahhlm
37. Call just because: "I call my mom just to tell her I love her. Not to ask for advice, not to call her back and not to make plans for the next holiday. Just because." --iVillager mgc2000
38. Reconnect: "When my teenage daughter looks a bit down, it's time for a 'spa day.' I put on calming music, turn down the lights and treat her to a soothing facial and pedicure at home. It's also a great way for us to reconnect." --iVillager Deb
39. Trust the smallest gestures: "I like doing really simple things, such as paying tolls or offering change to a weary shopper who needs that extra two or three cents to avoid breaking a 20-dollar bill." --iVillager Caryn
40. Show interest: "I often tear out articles from magazines or newspapers that I think my friends and family will like. I've sent everything from a biography of a Taos potter (to my parents) to education articles (to a friend who runs a charter school). It's an inexpensive way to let them know I think about them and their interests even if we don't talk frequently." --iVillager Jen
41. Check in: "If a friend is going through a crisis, I'll call in three other friends to phone that person throughout the day for fast, just-checking-on-you conversations." --iVillager Kim
42. Hold a door: "I hold open doors for people -- a woman toting children, an elderly person. It's such a little gesture, but their faces light up." --iVillager cmalysia
43. Say thanks: "One of the things I like to do is tell someone that I care about 'thanks for being you.'" --iVillager Caryn
44. Say "we miss you": "Since my husband is a pilot, my kids and I try to hide something in his bags when he leaves for work. Sometimes it's a picture of the girls or one drawn by the girls, or sometimes a card or note from me. We've been known to hide Dad's special favorite candy too." --iVillager Mare
45. Reminisce: "If I happen upon an old email from a friend that was particularly funny or touching, I sometimes send it back to them months later just to laugh or reminisce about what was going on back then, how things have changed or how they've really stayed the same." --iVillager Charity
46. Commend a job well done: "Everyone is quick to complain about poor customer service, so when I get great service in a store or restaurant, I try to find a manager and make sure they know what a good job a particular employee has done." --iVillager Tam
47. Be grateful: "I am creating a daily journal for my husband's next birthday, telling him why I am grateful he's in my life. It will be a yearlong project. I hope it puts a big smile on his face. It makes me secretly smile as I write in it every night and realize how lucky I am to love and be loved." --iVillager Deb
48. Sing a song: "Whenever I call one of my closest friends who moved across the country, I make up a little song to leave on her machine in case she's not there. They're totally goofy rhymes to tunes like the Indiana Jones theme song or 'Sixteen Going on Seventeen' from the Sound of Music." --iVillager Jenny
49. Be a friend: "If a friend is having a bad week, I call her every morning before she leaves for work and tell her I love her, she's the best, and she'll get through it." --iVillager Yasmin
50. Spread goofiness: "On a Post-it, I scribble the funniest version of a smiley face I can -- an X for each eye, or a jagged line in a frown, curly-cues of hair sticking out wildly -- anything to win a grin. Then I put it someplace for the person I love to discover when I'm not around." --iVillager Kim
51. Say it with chocolate: "I whip up a batch of my much-loved chocolate chip cookies and leave them for friends to find when they get home from work." --iVillager Charity
52. Pay attention: "Occasionally when I meet a friend for dinner or drinks, I make an effort to not talk about myself and my life, and focus instead solely on what's going on with my friend. Sometimes that means asking them about issues they haven't brought up in a while, their families, even dreams they've mentioned. Often I find even my closest friends think about things I'm not aware of. I end up feeling closer to them than ever and I get the sense they really feel heard." --iVillager Jennifer
53. Make 'em laugh: "When I think of something funny to say, I hardly ever hold back. My father, who passed away this year, was loved by his patients and colleagues for telling jokes whenever the spirit moved him. Since I inherited his sense of humor, I try to do the same -- making wise cracks in the office, saying silly things at meetings. I'm not a doctor like my father, but studies have proven that laughter has immune-boosting benefits -- so in my own way, I'm carrying on his work!" --iVillager Emily
54. Be there 24/7: "I have an it's-never-too-late-to-call rule with my closest friends. I'm happy to wake up to help them through a crisis -- and I know they'll do the same for me." --iVillager nylady6
55. Initiate applause: "When a coworker does a great job, I let them know and tell others -- loudly. A little recognition goes a long way." --iVillager bellybelly
56. Show gratitude: "I say thank you often, and I mean it." --iVillager Ellen
57. Craft: "I knit for friends or make baby clothes and give them to the hospital for new mothers. I've also made winter hats and mittens for homeless shelters." --iVillager tiwolf
58. Remember: "On my friends' birthdays, I try to get something that I've heard them say (in passing) they would like to have. Then, when they open the gift, it's a good feeling to know that what they had said weeks or months ago was heard and remembered." --iVillager royebeth
59. Create: "I give homemade presents to people having a rough day." --iVillager gdhands
60. Satisfy a craving: "Whenever I find them, I buy my husband his favorite cookies -- Mallomars." --iVillager Eileen
61. Nurture on a whim: "Why do people have to be sick before we take care of them? I like to provide blankets, pillows and warm drink when necessary and not necessary! This works for friends who live alone as well as family members and children." --iVillager Kim
62. Come to the rescue: "If a friend is home with a sick child, I bring by ice cream or other goodies for the whole family. Or if a friend is overwhelmed with chores, I try to take one and do it for her." --iVillager annee
63. Be an angel: "Since she doesn't get out of the house much, I call an older friend every day to chat. Sometimes I drop by and clean or run little errands for her." --iVillager craftlady50
64. Send a good thought: "I send e-cards to my mom, who thinks they are the best thing ever!" --iVillager Sasha
65. Read aloud: "It just makes my son's day when I hold him and read the story of his choice before bedtime. After the story he climbs off my lap and says, 'Thank you, Momma.'" --iVillager cm-aurelia
66. Write a note: "I send real mail to friends, family or intimate partners. I just pick up a few cards -- even the 99-cent notes or postcards if money is tight -- and take a minute to write a sincere note to someone. For something that doesn't take much time, this is something my friends and family really appreciate. Just think how great you feel when you get something in the mail that isn't a bill!" --iVillager Wendy
67. Keep in touch: "I've started a tradition where I go through stacks of pictures and divide them into packets for different family members. Each person gets a special note updating them on my family." --iVillager Michelle
68. Plant a secret: "My secret is to put a very small toy or, for an adult, a note, inside a balloon, blow it up, tie it off, and tape it someplace for them to discover." --iVillager Kim
69. Give to givers: "My children and I have a cool gifting tradition. We make homemade cards and cookies, then put them in plain paper bags and hand them out to the Salvation Army bell ringers." --iVillager gdhands
70. Go one-on-one: "My five-year-old niece loves when I use my nickname for her, so when I call her house and she answers, I ask to speak to 'Pumpkin.'" --iVillager Eileen
71. Hug: "I'm known at iVillage for posting virtual hugs." --iVillager cm-aurelia
72. Say "I love you": "Telling a special person in your life that you love them every day is so important. You may think they know you love them or appreciate them, but saying the words can make both of your days that much better." --iVillager Jayme

2 comments:

Team Tuttle said...

Love, love - LOVE this list. Already mentally planting some fun ideas in my head for those around me! Thanks for the post! :)

The Clemen Family said...

I LOVE this list!